Sunday, October 4, 2009

Vienna.. wonderful city!

Let's just say this, I love vienna- a lot. I moved into my permanetn-temporary dorm, and it's smaller, but very very homey! The people there are super nice and everyone is wonderful.

The city has so much to do. I've never lived in a city, so this is new, but then again, I feel as though Vienna has so much more to do than a lot of other cities. On saturdays, there is this huge flea market that we go to almost every week to find bargains. We also go occasionally out to IKEA to enjoy a nice cheap lunch or dinner, and then go around the store. There are also over 100 different museums to visit in Vienna. Any museum you ever wanted to visit is probably here in vienna.

Talking about museums, last night was the "Lange nacht der Museen" (Long night of the museums). 94 museums were open from 6 pm until 1 am and all you had to do was buy one entrance ticket (11 Euros for students) and you got into all the other museums for free! We went to the Schnoops museum (free shots afterwards), a museum over eastern asian culture and religion, and the natural history museum, which is world renowned for it's exhibits. It had a lot of great stuff in there.

The public transportation here is also lovely, but i did have to spend a lot of money to get a semester card. I do love going in the subway, hundreds of feet below the city and riding around town. It's awesome.

We also did a scavenger hunt with the college one day. That was a blast. There were 4 groups of us, and just running around vienna trying to find out the answers to our quest things was so much fun. We met up with other teams, ran down streets, used street cars and subways, and did all sorts of things. We had a blast and got a ton of exercise.

We've also been around a couple of night life places and found some awesome little knooks here that are away from tourists. That, and I've really learned that the mexican food here is not real mexican. It's basically many different variations on fajitas, which is yummy, but i miss real mexican.

Well, i'm just happy, but classes are starting here really soon. I'm really nervous for my math class, which i think i'm dropping anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. I'm doing an intership in a middle school, and I have to do a lot of teaching english. Because I told the teachers that i am an aspiring teacher, i get to teach lessons and whatnot. That's all good and dandy, but when i have to make up 9 lesson a week on top of homework and college, it's a little overwhelming. I can do it though, cause it'll be a great experience. :D

In my internship, i'm working with a big range of kids. All of them are in middle school, but some of them are just begining, some are in the integration process, and some of them are being taught completely (almost) in English. It's really interesting, but the younger ones get on my nerves a little, since they don't like to pay attention. I have already learned a lot about the educational system. One thing that is totally different is that the teachers move around, and the students stay put (most of the time), which is opposite of America.

Anyway, i have pictures, but not on my computer. I'm still without internet, so i'll work on getting pictures up sometime here soon! Check out my facebook group for photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment